Welcome to the Banana Loaf Recipe website, the only website dedicated purely to that simple and most versatile of cakes, the banana loaf cake. Here you will find our definitive Signature Banana Loaf recipe along with lots of other delicious banana loaf recipes such as our Double Chocolate Banana Loaf Recipe and our Banoffee Loaf Cake Recipe.
Most importantly, though, here is our Signature Banana Loaf Cake recipe. If you want to print a copy, please see our printable Banana Loaf recipe or our special fun Printable Banana Loaf Recipe for Kids if you want to bake it with your little ones.
Our Signature Banana Loaf Recipe
This is, hands down, the best banana loaf recipe there is. Easy and delicious. Happy Baking!
Gives: 8-10 slices
8oz/225g wholemeal plain flour
4tsp baking powder
4oz/110g dark brown sugar
4oz/110g butter or margarine
1lb/450g bananas, mashed with a fork (approx 3-4; weight is with skin)
2 eggs, beaten
Equipment: a 2lb loaf tin (approx 23cm x 13cm x 7cm)
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius (for fan-assisted ovens use 150 degrees), gas mark 4 or 350 F.
2. Prepare the loaf tin by lining with greaseproof paper
3. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and sugar. Stir well to break up any sugar lumps.
4. Add your butter or margarine to the dry ingredients. Rub the fat into the flour using the rubbing-in method. (See our article on the rubbing-in method for help with this.) The result should be a breadcrumb-like texture.
5. Add the raisins, the mashed banana and the beaten egg.
6. Mix well until there are no flour lumps. It should look like a thick batter.
7. Spoon the contents into the prepared loaf tin
8. Bake on the middle shelf of the preheated oven for 1 hour.
9. After 1 hour check your cake. The top should have risen and a skewer inserted into the cake should come out clean. Cracking of the top is a good sign.
10. Cool on a wire rack.
11. Slice and serve with or without butter.
12. Will keep for several days in an airtight tin.